Monday, August 21

Singing a Whale Song of Summer... by Lyn Gill


Hi everyone! Lyn here with you today from LynzCraftz. It's no secret that I love Summer... the Ocean... the Beach... the sound of the waves and the salty sea air – so before Summer ends, I thought I would get in one last Summer project. I've named it "Whale Song" for obvious reasons...


I first started with a couple polymer clay whales that I sculpted from Super Sculpey (baked according to package directions). I left each whale flat on the back so I could glue them down. I glued each down into my mold box, then I poured over a batch of Amazing Mold Rubber to create the mold. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.

In a few hours, the mold is cured! I removed the originals and it was time to pour some clear blue resin. For the whales I've mixed up Amazing Clear Cast Resin and Ocean Blue Alumilite Dye... aren't they cute?


Then using a wooden canvas I had purchased, I painted it with some acrylic paints. Just a basic underwater type background which will get mostly covered up.


Here comes the fun part... I mixed up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin and divided it into 5 small cups; adding Alumidust to each cup in similar colors to my painted background in 4 of them. In the fifth one, I added a bit of White Alumilite Dye.


Carefully pouring each of the four colors on their corresponding color area (kinda like a paint by number... LOL), I used a stir stick to help move the colors around. I placed the two original polymer whales along with the blue cast whales into the wet resin on the background and left it to cure for 3-4 hours before continuing.


The final step was to mix just a touch (the tip of my pallet knife) of the Alumilite Pearlescent Metallic Powder into another batch of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, then pour this mixture over the entire piece – whales and all.


After letting this cure overnight,
the results are well... AMAZING! 


You can see the sparkle from the tiny bit of Pearlescent powder that I added to the final layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin – it's so pretty! A little bit of work but well worth it in the end.

What end of Summer projects
do you have planned?

Well that's the end for now – thank you so much for stopping by... 
Till Next Time! Lyn

As usual, you can find more of my work on my blog LynzCraftz
or on YouTube LynzCraftz, or my Facebook page LynzCraftz.

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...