Monday, March 23

Organic and Natural Shapes that are #Cre8time Charming... by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here with another Amazing Casting Products tutorial! Organic shapes and forms are a constant source of inspiration for me – be it leaves, twigs, a pool of water or even a strange crystal. I love the idea of being able to duplicate these shapes to create new forms and "canvas" for art. This is where Amazing Mold Rubber comes in handy. 

Supplies:


I went through my collection of polished stones and glass pieces looking for smooth and/or interesting shapes that would look great for pendants and small art pieces but in the natural state would be too heavy to wear.


I placed the chosen pieces on a ceramic tile, trying to see how many pieces I could fit on the tile. The ceramic tile acted at the base to my mold box, with sides made from a coated cereal box. I used packing tape and hot glue to seal the edges. I hot glued my originals to the bottom of the mold box


Carefully following the instructions I mixed up the Amazing Mold Rubber and slowly poured it into the mold box, then let cure. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation. After I extracted all of the stone and glass pieces, I cut and trimmed any raw edges off the Amazing Mold Rubber mold.


I mixed up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin and poured the resin into the mold filling each mold up to about 1/4 of the way. I let this cure for a few hours until tacky and poured another layer of resin and sprinkled in Alumidust and glitter. This technique is very similar to my layered Resin Halloween Cabochons

While the second layer of resin was still uncured I made up several small batches of Amazing Clear Cast Resin mixed with a variety of Alumilite Dyes. I dropped little tooth pick amounts of tinted resin into each mold, making random swirls and patterns in the clear resin. I let this cure a few hours until tacky set.


The final layer was a thin layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin mixed with more Alumilite Dyes, making sure to tint the resin a bit darker. Carefully I applied it to the back of each cab and let cure completely. This final dark layer of resin helps the glitter and mica "pop" more visually.


Using a small hand drill (or craft knife), I removed any uneven edges off the resin pieces. The finished pieces can easily be wire wrapped or have a hole drilled to create a pendant and be put on chain or ribbon to create one-of-a-kind wearable art.

With so many shapes to mold and so many things you can place in the casted resin pieces your only limit to wearable art is your imagination!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?


Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...