Monday, February 9

#Cre8time Kitty {or Puppy} Love... by Maria Soto


Hi there, this is Maria and today I would love to share a special project with you. I like to mold just about anything I find interesting, but I like making my own items too. Five years ago my kids convinced me to adopt a cat, and I have to admit she changed me – well she changed us all, but mostly me. Since then we have rescued two more cats, and well things have changed. I have to say they own the house now. I love my cats, and we know our home wouldn't be the same without them. Here is a photo of our baby Little Tai, with his cute little tie and a duck tape purse I made for him. He was playing dress up for a contest, which he won by the way. 


I've had an idea in mind for a while, but just wasn't sure it would work, so I had to give it a try. I want to make a bracelet. I've seem metal stamped pieces but I wanted to make it with resin... so after thinking about it for a while, it was time to test it out. I went to my recycling box and found some left over cardboard from my old desk calendar, took out my ruler and Westcott scissors and got started.

   

I took a piece of recycled cardboard and measured a strip. Then I used a black sharpie to write I love my cat, but using a heart in place of the word "love" and a little paw in place of the word "cat".


I took my hot glue gun and went over the letters and images on the cardboard, adding dimension, so I could make a mold out of it. I glued this piece into a plastic container, ready for casting in Amazing Mold Rubber.


Time to get the Amazing Mold Rubber ready! I'm making several molds at the same time, so I used the entire package. The mixing process for the entire container is easy. Pour the entire bottle of pink catalyst into the container of the white rubber base and combine well {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.

  

The base starts out white and once you add the catalyst and mix it well it becomes a light pink color. Amazing Mold Rubber is very easy to use, and it's very flexible. I really like this product for these reasons and the fact that it picks up every little detail.


Once the Amazing Mold Rubber is mixed, pour it over the item you are molding. Since this is a very thin master, I just added enough to cover completely – it will be a very thin mold. It only took about 20 minutes for the mold to cure and ready to be removed from the plastic container. 


The mold came out pretty good! The letters, the paw and heart came out perfect.


Now it's time to play with the resin and decide what to make. I used Amazing Casting Resin since I intend to color the resin piece afterwards. The first casting was done without adding any coloring {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}.


Then I made another batch of Amazing Casting Resin and added a couple drops of the Alumilite Fluorescent "Flo" Yellow Dye. I didn't use enough so the resin had a very light tint of yellow – no problem I could always paint it after if I want to.


I decided to go ahead and make a key chain for my daughter and a bracelet for me. For the bracelet - I've colored it with Rose Izink and black pigment ink, adding a chain with two crystals on the side. I will be making a few more key chains for my three sisters – they all have cats and dogs, and this piece can be for both cats and dogs!


Here is the finished key chain, my daughter loves it –
you just gotta have a tiny little bell to finish it up! 


I hope that I have inspired you to create your own items to mold. Amazing Mold Rubber is really good for mold making – and I love how flexible it is to work with. 

Materials list:



What will you cast in Amazing Mold Rubber
to create custom furbaby gifts?

Share your projects with us, we love to see what
everyone creates with Amazing Casting Products.

Thanks for visiting! I invite you to stop over to my blog "What is Creativity"
at http://chuy-creativity.blogspot.com to see more of my creations. Maria Soto

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...