Wednesday, October 8

#Altered Molds... h'OWL Sweet it IS! AMAZING Inspiration from Susan M. Brown {sbartist}

Hello Amazing Crafters! Susan here to shine a little light on altering items and altering your molds in  Amazing Mold Putty. It's one thing to have an amazing find... but it's completely another to transform it by altering surface features or details and making it really special. Last Halloween season, I created a bunch of owl charms for a swap and I used one of my castings to embellish this TAG {click here to view - or click the image at top of right sidebar}.

I hunted for vintage finds and happened upon this brass owl charm from one of my vintage purveyors. I was in love with the shape of this – and it had a nice size loop along with recesses for gems. A nice find! BUT... there are negative voids making it not to fun to mold. There is a workaround...


So I cleaned my charm with rubbing alcohol and adhered some scotch tape to the back; burnishing it down to everywhere the tape made contact with the charm. In the middle of the owl's belly, I pushed the tape forward to make a convex {or is it concave rather} to add a little dimension. I prepared my batch of Amazing Mold Putty and pressed my charm face down into the putty – and the tape stopped the putty from coming up through the voids – thus changing the shape and outcome.


When the Amazing Mold Putty was cured, I gently removed my charm. I made a casting test using Sculpey Clay to see the result. He's a little wonky from removing while soft, but I could see how my tape masking worked.


Since the detail in around the eyes looked furry/feathery I wanted to make the belly the same. YES – you can cut your molds... or even patch or add to them! If you mess up, Amazing Mold Putty fuses to itself if you want to add or fix an area. So I grabbed my EK Honeybee Nonstick scissors which have small shears for detailed/precision cutting and cut slices into the mold where the belly is in little "V" shapes. I kept cutting until I like it, then with tweezers pulled out the loose pieces resulting in high and low sculpted points. Now my mold is much... much better!!!


I'm ready cast with Amazing Casting Resin and create a whole flock of whimsical "CHARMING" Owls. The owl on right is Amazing Casting Resin colored with Alumilte Violet Dye. The completed charm on left it dusted with Alumilite Copper Metallic Powder and accented with adhesive back gems then a finishing layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin

How would you ALTER your Molds?

Please leave a comment below to share! If you would like to see more of my creations, please visit my blog sbartist : painting in the dark by clicking here. ~ Susan
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Want to Socialize with Amazing Crafting Products?
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...