Friday, April 11

Dollar Store Candle REDUX... Mediterranean #MixedMedia Candle tutorial by Tanya Ruffin

This month we are working with the April Mixed Media Kit from Frog Dog Studio. Using a few supplies, I created this Mediterranean candle accented with silver mica flakes. 


Supplies: 
  • Glass Candle – mine was from the Dollar Tree
  • Decopatch Tissue paper {from Frog Dog Studio Kit}
  • Stampendous Pearlized Mica Fragments {from Frog Dog Studio Kit}
  • Amazing Clear Cast Resin
  • Glue {I used E6000®}
  • Bead ribbon
Please see below for entire contents of the Frog Dog Studio April Mixed Media Kit and April Add-On Kit containing Amazing Crafting Products.

Directions: Measure your tissue paper out by rolling the candle on the paper and marking where it makes a full circle. Give yourself a little extra for overlap. Cut the paper and use a little glue to attach to the candle.


I left about 1 inch at the top and 1/2 inch at the bottom because of the taper in the glass. Start wrapping the paper around the candle (at the seam) using a little drop of glue at the top and the bottom edge. 


The glass seam.


I added two dabs of glue to start and only two at the end. If you are quick you can just press the end of the wrap into the still wet glue! 

I then mixed up some Amazing Clear Cast Resin. To make it easier I marked off the measuring cup ahead of time. 5 ML for part "A" and 5 ML (at the 10 ML mark) for part "B". I have had a hard time seeing the markings on the measure cups once I start to fill them with resin, so a black line is a must for me.


Next I begin to add the Amazing Clear Cast Resin to the outside of the tissue wrap using a craft stick. Make sure it is a thin layer, just enough to cover the surface. Even this will drip some. A silicone or non-stick surface is a must here! I actually used an oven liner!


{please excuse my banged up thumb}

Now go watch a little TV and come back in about an hour
to clean up some dripping and smooth out the resin again.


I leaned the candle sideways to smooth out the resin.
Do NOT lay it on the surface or it will stick! 


After another few hours you can start to add the mica flakes. You want the surface to almost hard to the touch. With your finger tip, pick up one flake at a time and press it into the resin.


Now place Mica flakes all over the surface. 


The combination of this paper and these flakes looks very Mediterranean. 

Now I am craving a sharama! 


You can embellish the top edge of the candle with ribbon and charms. I am going to use bead ribbon. I used some E6000® adhesive because it tends to set up faster. Just a little dab will hold it as I wrap the beads around the glass. 


Anyone have a Belly Dancing Studio??
Oddly enough, my Art Studio is in the same building as one!

Until next time! ~ Tanya

Please visit my site to see more of my inspiring creations at www.tanyaRuffin.com



• • • • • • • • • • • • • •

    

The Frog Dog Studio April Mixed Media Kit includes:
(1) **Alumidust Powder - Red Plum; (1) StazOn Midi Ink pad - Claret; (1) StazOn Midi Ink pad - Blue Hawaii; (1) iZink Pigment Ink bottle - Gold; (1) Stampendous Mica Fragments Jar, Pearlized; (1) Dusty Attic Chipboard set - Birds; (1) Stampendous Mini Clipboard Canvas pack; (1) Set Canvas Mini's - Canvas Corp; (3) Sheets of Decopatch Tissue Paper; and (16) Tim Holtz Clear Fragments (random sizes/shapes). ** Alumidust is one of the many additives from the Alumilite Corporation. Valued at over $45.

The Frog Dog Studio  April Add-On Kit includes:
(1) Amazing Clear Cast Resin – 16 Fluid Oz Box; (1) Amazing Mold Putty – 2/3 lb Box; (25) 1 oz Measuring Cups; and (50) Wooden Stir Sticks. Valued at over $47.

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...