Monday, November 18

Amazing Mold Rubber and a Chance of Snow? Snowflake Ornaments by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here with another Amazing Crafting Products tutorial! With the cooler weather already sweeping into our area it is starting to feel like Winter! With nights getting close to freezing, I got to thinking about the dazzling shapes and colors of ice and snowflakes. Inspired, I made some polymer clay Snowflake Ornaments (follow the link for the tutorial on how to make them). While I was happy with the outcome I got to thinking what could I do to create snowflakes that looked more like real ice?


Supplies: 


Knowing that Amazing Mold Rubber can cast high detail and glass-like resin pieces I decided to make molds of my polymer clay snowflakes. 


I made my mold box out of a coated cereal box, I find the slightly glossy paper used for cereal boxes is perfect for creating my own shape and size mold boxes. I used packing tape and hot glue to seal the edges. I glued the polymer clay snowflakes to the bottom of the mold box. 


Carefully following the instructions I mix up the Amazing Mold Rubber and slowly poured it over the snowflakes. Now normally, I notice the Amazing Mold Rubber normally sets up in 4-6 hours but because I poured it on a really cold day and the room I was in was also rather cold, it took it a touch longer to cure. Always try to remember to use your Amazing Crafting Products at a nice warm temperature if you want it to set up like normal.


Once the mold was cured and I carefully removed my original polymer clay snowflakes. Using the soft bristle brush I dusted the inside "arms" of the snowflake impressions with Alumilite Pearlescent Metallic Powder. This will gave the finished snowflakes a frosted look to the edges.


I mixed up a batch of Amazing Clear Cast Resin following the easy to follow instructions and slowly poured it into each snowflake impression. I waited a few minutes to let the air bubbles rise to the surface of the resin. Using the round nose pliers I curled the edges of the wire to make small hangers for the snowflakes; the curled edges will add an extra grip when placed in resin. I placed the curled edges into the top of each snowflake. I then added in the glitter and flakes. I used no special method, just sprinkled onto the resin here and there. 


Here are the finished resin snowflakes with the original polymer clay versions!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create???

Please share them on the NEW user GALLERY on the Amazing Mold Putty Website!

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

...........................................

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog via Networked Blogs,
bloglovin' or via email on the right side bar:
Twitter at @AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...