Friday, January 6

Travel through #Cre8time with #Resin filled Talismans... by Tracy Alden


Hello! Tracy here to share another tutorial with you! The art and history of body adornment of early humans has always been an interest and inspiration to me. Tiny bits of bone, stones and shells were the most common items to be made into talismans, symbols of status and importance by our early ancestors. Harking back to a bygone time I created a small collection of faux pebbles talismans with a modern spin with the help of Amazing Casting Products

Supplies: 


Using a pasta machine (devoted to craft use only) set on the thickest setting, I conditioned some translucent polymer clay. I added small amounts of different colored polymer clay and a tiny bit of ground pepper to each ball of translucent clay. I mixed each ball of clay just enough to tint the clay and encapsulate the black pepper. The swirls of not completely blended clay and black pepper will help create the illusion of natural stone. 


I carefully pressed each ball of clay into a rough pebble shape and poked a hole through the top of each faux pebble. Using a stylus, toothbrush, dotting tools and more I textured each pebble pendant front, back and edges, which creates the effect of raw unpolished stone.

* If you rather have the look of smooth river stones skip this step of adding surface texture.


Using the 4 Piece Carver Set, I carefully carved and pressed into each clay pendant a rustic art design. I was careful to cup the uncured clay pendants in my hand while carving as to not loose my surface texture I created in the previous step. I wasn't worried about making the designs super detailed or clean as these were intended to look ancient.


Using small soft paint brushes I added Alumilite Metallic Powder and Alumidust into the carved elements on the pendants. The metallic powder bonds to the uncured polymer clay without the addition of a glue or sealant. By placing the polymer clay pieces on a paper towel I would make sure the pieces in the curing process would not lose their textured surface on the side laying flat against the tile. I then put the tile with the pendants and clay into a toaster oven, per manufacturer instructions, to cure.


Once the polymer pieces were cured and cool to the touch, I used the 1500 sanding pad from the Alumilite Polishing Kit. I sanded the front, sides and back of the polymer clay pebbles pendant just enough to remove any uneven edges created in the texture process. To remove any sanding dust I gently washed the pieces in water using my fingers to remove the sanding dust and let them dry. 


I mixed up a small portion of Amazing Clear Cast Resin, making sure to slowly stir to reduce air bubbles and let it sit for 5 minutes. Using a toothpick, I put a tiny drops of Yellow, Purple and Ocean Blue Alumilite Dye each into a small mixing cup and poured a portion of the pre-mixed resin in it. I used a toothpick to carefully drop tiny amounts of tinted resin into the carved designs on the pedant surfaces. The metallic powders acted as a lovely reflective element magnified by the resin. I let the resin cure completely. 

* Any drips made outside of the carved elements I cleaned up with a baby wipe. 


I strung the pendants onto hemp and linen jewelry cording and secured them in place with a Lark's Head knot. I added a few beads and my talisman necklaces were finished! So many symbols can be quickly carved into the polymer clay to later be filled with resin... so your creative possibilities are endless!

What AMAZING arts and crafts can you create?

Visit my blog Art Resurrected for more craft tutorials!

Until next time, safe travels! ~ Tracy

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •


Visit us at Booth #2813 Alumilite Corporation
{a.k.a. Amazing Casting Products}

See all five flagship products in action, try them out, and learn something totally fun and AMAZING! Stay tuned here at Amazing Casting Products for more details and sneak peeks as we approach Creativation at CHA 2017!

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCasting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...