Wednesday, March 25

Molded Lace Makes a Wearable Statement...
by Isabel Villarreal


Everyone loves statement jewelry and this necklace made from molded lace definitely makes a statement! Lately I've been seeing accessories made from lace and I decided to try my hand at creating something for myself. I originally tried to use a lace piece for my necklace but it was a little too droopy so I figured I would mold it and cast it. This started out as an experiment but the results were so amazing I had to share! Follow along to see how to make a stunning statement piece for yourself.

   

I started with a nice lace piece that I trimmed down until I was satisfied with the shape. I mixed up some Amazing Mold Putty and using a rolling pin, I flattened the putty to fit the size of the lace and then rolled the lace piece into the putty face down. CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation.


The resulting mold is very shallow, but this way the final piece will be thin and light enough to wear comfortably. I got a great impression from the lace with some really great detail.


The next step was to add some color with Alumidust pigment powders. I used some small brushes to coat the mold using a variety of colors to bring out the intricate design and leaving some areas with no pignment so that they would be clear. 

To fill the mold I mixed a batch of Amazing Clear Cast Resin {CLICK HERE to view mixing/preparation}. I filled the mold very carefully to try to avoid any over spill since the mold is so shallow. While the resin was still wet I sprinkled iridescent glitter along the entire surface. 


The resin was pretty thin and being that I live in South Florida, the temperature was pretty nice so it was dry to the touch in about 8 hours. I carefully released it from the mold while it was still a little soft so that I could trim away any unwanted areas and smooth out the edges. 

The resin piece was beautiful on its own. The original lace piece has sequins and embroidered edges and you can see that the resin piece picked up all of the beautiful details perfectly!



These pictures show the back of the piece, which I covered in glitter and the front of the piece to show the results. It has sort of a watercolor feel that works well with the floral theme. 

The front of the piece has color but if you look you can see the way the glitter shows through the color to give it dimension. 

  

To finish the piece I coated it with a super thin layer of Amazing Clear Cast Resin to smooth out the surface and added some crystals to bring out the details. Once the crystals were set I used my Crop-A-Dile to make a couple of holes in the resin in just the right place so it would hang at an angle from around my neck and used sterling jump rings to hang it from a fine Silver chain. 

How will you make a statement

I'd love to see what you create! Please upload and share your creations to the

 • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

Don't forget to subscribe to our blog on the right side bar:
Twitter at AmazingCrafting | Facebook at AmazingMoldPutty | YouTube at AmazingMoldPutty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...