Wednesday, May 16

Butterfly Pendant Necklace



Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying your early summer weather! Here on the Amazing Mold Putty Blog, I thought tit would be fun to make this pretty Butterfly Pendant Necklace!


I started with a clean butterfly rubber stamp. Then I took equal amounts of yellow and white Amazing Mold Putty and mixed them together.


I kneaded the putty with my fingers until there was no trace of white.


Then, instead of pushing the stamp into the putty, I formed the Amazing Mold Putty into a square shape and placed it onto the stamp, pushing in with my fingers until I was certain I had filled in the butterfly stamp. I pulled the extra bits of the putty down onto the sides of the rubber stamp to create a sort of cavity when the mold would be released.


Once the putty had set, about 15 minutes or so, I popped out the stamp.


Next I applied with a dry brush, Silver Alumilite Metalic Powder to the inside of the mold. 


Then with the Amazing Casting Resin, I poured 2 oz of each "A" and "B", using the supplied measuring cups and mixed it into a paper dixie cup. 


I stirred the mixture until it became clear then poured it from the paper cup into the butterfly mold. Warmer days, and your resin will set faster, 10 minutes or less. When I made this, it was still chilly in the morning, and working with my studio window open, made the set time almost 20 minutes.


Once the resin cured, I popped out the butterfly. Working quickly while it was not yet permanently hard, I used precision scissors to trim off any excess Amazing Casting Resin I did not want in the finished piece.


For the back of the butterfly, you don't always need fancy bails. Here I used metal photo corner mounts from my scrapbooking stash and applied them with E-6000 glue.


I measured a piece of silver chain, long enough to fit over my head and attached the ends to the photo corner mounts with jump rings. I accented the butterfly detail with fine silver glitter, coated it with a sealer and attached a piece of vintage rhinestone trim with more of the E-6000.


I hope I have inspired you to make something like this. It's really easy and beautiful to show off.

Thanks for coming by, see you next month!

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful project Michelle! This would be a great gift for a butterfly lover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful work, I think we must have been mentally in sync with each other as I made something very similiar. giggle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...